on the details of
Godda district, Jharkhand, India
Thematic Intervention: Health, Education, Nutrition
SATHEE originated in the course of a Government of India sponsored research project ‘Ecological Survey of ‘Paharia’ community in Santhal Parganas’ during 1988–1991. Through this research project, the team developed an in-depth understanding on the problems of Paharia and other tribal communities living in and around the Rajmahal hills of Santhal Parganas. After working with these communities for around 4 - 5 years, SATHEE was founded. SATHEE has been working on various issues like pulse polio program, adult literacy program and is a member of district level committees like malaria control, polio eradication, state level advisory committee on technology promotion under the leadership of State Development Commissioner and the Right to Food Campaign in Santhal Parganas. The founder, Dr. Niraj Kumar has years of experience in sustainable agriculture, watershed management and community development through various income generation programs and vocational trainings for youth and women.
Key Issues Addressed:
ECCE(Early Childhood Care and Education): - As enshrined in the ECCE Policy, programmes and provisions for children from prenatal to 6 years of age catering to all domains of development while ensuring synergy between health and nutrition aspects are not implemented in its entirely.
As per the District Information System for Education (DISE) report (2014-15), the reduction of students from Primary to Upper Primary Schools ranges between 32% to 43% amongst the different categories of population. It is highest amongst Scheduled Tribe population. Similar level of dropout also found in other groups like Scheduled Caste and OBCs (Other Backward Class) but in case of Muslims, the dropout is higher than the OBCs and other communities. The situations of the school management committees are also found to be non-functional in majority of the schools other than current operational areas. The awareness on the roles and responsibilities is seen to be lacking.
Malnourishment and Health:
The programme area has a very high rate of malnourishment among the children below the age of 60 months. Analyzing the causes of malnutrition among children, marriage before the legal age, prevalence of anaemia among the adolescents and mothers, low birth spacing, poor nutritional intake and care during pregnancy are also the major causes for the birth of low birth weight children and gradually these children turn into malnourished children.
The Health needs of the pregnant women and children in terms of access to Health Services are areas of concern. Due to the lack of proper health personnel presence especially in the Littipara in Pakur, Borio in Sahebganj and Sunder Pahari Godda the health accessibility is still a matter of great concern.
- To generate Awareness among the adolescent girls on their health issues, Marriage, safe motherhood in the realm of life cycle approach.
- To generate awareness among the community of project area on Malnutrition and undernutrition among the children.
- To develop understanding of pregnant women and family members on prenatal and postnatal care and ensure presence of all pregnant women in AWC(Anganwadi centre ) to assess the present status of care and practices of lactating mother for their children, campaign for awareness and develop plan to address the reasons.
Achievements & Impact in the Review Period
Health: Access to free, primary healthcare in Sathee’s intervention areas.
Major achievements in the year include:
- This is the first year of implementation in the area of health for Sathee and hence required intensive level of capacity building to internalise the concept and find the way forward for implementing it in the field.
- Activities involved building understanding of staffs on Home Based Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) Programme through discussions and sharing.
- Capacity Building was done of the staffs on childhood, different stages of childhood and their developmental tasks and needs.
- Local Mahila Mandals with the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)staffs are undertaking Home visits whereby linkage with the services of the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)is being informed and women along with their children are motivated to attend the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) .
- Regular meetings with Mahila Mandals (women’s collectives) resulted in complete immunisation of 343 pregnant women. Discussions on Home Based ECCD were undertaken subsequently.
- 341 pregnant women and 121 lactating mothers could be brought into the fold of the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centres.
- Children (485 aged between 7 to 36 months & 763 above 36 months) could be brought under the regular services of the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centers apart from 172 adolescent girls.
- 35 Village Health and Nutrition Days (VHND) were conducted in ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centers in the period where 1261 beneficiaries were enrolled. Health checkups of pregnant women, immunisation of children and weight measurements were done.
Education: In Sathee programme area 100 % children are enrolled and retained in ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)
- Sensitisation programmes on Pre-School Education (PSE) resulted in increase in number of children to 30 – 32. Guardians are also realising the need for Early Childhood Education (ECE). 7 ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centres have been undertaken, 1 in each district.
- The monitoring charts were regularised at the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) level regarding the presence, knowledge along with hygiene.
- 83 drop out children within 6-18 years have been enrolled / re-enrolled in schools last year (Jan16 – Dec16).
- 1 school in the intervention area has been prevented from closure during the year.
Over the years SATHEE has been very successful in ensuring change in the life of children in this area through its result oriented program approach on child rights. The immunization and education status of Paharia populated villages has improved noticeably now. Basic health services, ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) services and the school for children (6-14) have reached the remotest villages. It has adopted strategy to empower and strengthen Gram Sabha and mobilizing services for the communities. In the coming year too, it is hoped that it’s focused intervention on the 3 critical issues in the area- education, health and malnutrition will help bring quality sustainable change in the lives of children. The following are the plans for the coming year.
Access to free, primary health care in Sathee’s intervention areas (antenatal care to 0-3 years):
- 240 Home visits per ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centers conducted by 40 ICDS
- 120 Mahila Mandal Meetings organized in 40 ICDS’s on significance of institutional delivery
- Tracking Report of Pregnant women for prenatal care & institutional delivery in all 40 ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) by the ICDS workers.
- Capacity building of all the 80 Anganwadi workers, 120 Panchayati Raj Institutions and SAHIYAS on significance of VHND(Village Health and Nutrition Day ) held for all 40 AWC’s (Anganwadi centre )in 7 Blocks
- Mapping Report of children outside 40 ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) in 7 Blocks completed and demand placed for universalisation of ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centers through the official process.
- Develop an approach paper on implementing home based ECCD(Early Childhood Care and Development) through ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) and submitting it to DSWO(District Social Welfare Officer) for obtaining permission
- Sensitization meetings to be held in all 87 intervention villages on Home based ECCD program, institutional delivery and immunization
In Sathee program area, 100% children (3-6) are enrolled and retained in ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)
- 15 Sensitisation meetings held in 5 ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centres
- 5 Capacity Building sessions of ICDS staffs in 7 Blocks organised
- Monitoring chart regularised in 5 focussed ICDS centres in 7 blocks while also taking it to remaining 35 centres.
- 1 campaign to be organised in all 40 ICDS centres in the 7 Blocks on Anganwari Phaunch Abhiyan for 3 to 5 years children.
- 100% eligible children from ICDS enrolled in Primary Schools through the initiative of 40 ICDS centres
100% enrolment of children in schools in the age group 6-14 years
- 5 Joint Meetings to be held in 5 schools for enrolment & retention of 122 dropouts and irregular children
- Orientation of Children’s Groups & Teachers of 5 schools held on tracking out of school children in all 20 schools
- Capacity building on Prayas held with 80 School Management Committee members of 5 identified schools for carrying out the program
- A report prepared on children's retention through Prayas Programme in 20 schools in 7 Blocks
- Assessment Report prepared for the 20 selected schools under 7 operational blocks in the operational areas
- 240 meetings held with parents in 20 schools on the children’s progress and sending the children to school.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Health and Nutrition
- Right to Education
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics