on the details of
Parbhani District, Maharashtra, India
Thematic Intervention: Protection
Sankalp Manav Vikas Sansthan was established in 1992 in Parbhani region for lending voice and support to the oppressed Dalit women and children. The organization is offshoot of Rural Development center’s activities of broadening in other Marathwada region under campaign for human rights. Now SMVS is spreading its campaign in Parbhani, Aurangabad, Jalna, Hingoli districts in Marathwada Region. The organization, since its inception, has taken up the cause of marginalized communities particularly migration, exploitation by sugar cooperatives, gender atrocities, child education and child labor. Mr. Sudhakar Kshirsagar the project holder of SMVS is well aware of socio-economic situations in Marathwada Region and in Parbhani district. He has not only strengthened the organization but also strategized regional networks in their work at grass root level. SMVS operates in 60 villages of Pathri, Manvat and Selu talukas of Parbhani District and 10 villages of Udgir taluka in Latur District. CRY supported intervention area is spread across 40 villages.
Key Issues Addressed:
The project area is known for abject poverty, poor development where toil and struggle describe the daily lives of the marginalized people. The overall literacy rate is lesser than the State average. Lack of livelihood options lead families to migrate to nearby sugarcane factories. The worst affected are the landless families and families with marginal land holding. As per the Maharashtra state criticality mapping Child protection is major issue. Parbhani district is also critical in child protection aspect as well as in the direct intervention area the seasonal child labor , child marriage as well as various other child protection issues related to migration is very high. It is also observed that the (Juvenile Justice)JJ System as well as (Integrated Child Protection Scheme)ICPS both Child protection related government mechanism are rolled out but not effectively implemented and their is need for activation of the same. It is observed that due to non availability of secondary schools, transportation facilities for children leads to school dropout after 5th standard which eventually leads to child labor as well as for girls it leads to child marriage. This requires working in depth on the education aspect as well. Sankalp has been working on Hungami vasti gruh and managed to prevent 430 children from dropping out of school and eventually leading to child labor as well as child marriage.
- Ensure 50% reduction in child labor from 20 villages of Mawat, Pathri of Parbhani district.
- 25% reduction in child marriage reported in the 20 villages.
- Reduction in school dropouts (50%) because of migration across 20 villages.
- 80% children in the age group of (6-14) yrs will be enrolled in schools in 20 villages of Parbhani district.
- 25% change observed in knowledge, attitude, practice of parents towards education across 20 villages of Parbhani district.
Achievements & Impact in the Review Period
Sankalp Manav Vikas Sansthan (SMVS) played a critical role in establishing child rights across Parbhani and Latur district. Sankalp team has strong associations with the Community based Organisation (CBO) groups, mainly consisting of Mahila Mandals in the operational area. This year Sankalp has done very effective work in terms of child protection linked with education.
50% Reduction of child labor reported in the 20 villages –
- Sankalp team conducted in-house meeting and developed their understanding on the child labor issues, push and pull factors as well as on child labor Act 1986.
- Discussion done on the definition of child labor/ number of hours/ hazardous and non hazardous- below 14 yrs and above 14 yrs division and also saw the same under JJ act 2006(Juvenile Justice Act) as well as under New child labor law- Home based industry/ family business – child labor.
- Total 100 families identified across 20 villages. 5 families from each village based on the vulnerability. In these 100 families regular tracking will be done on their regularity at school as well as efforts will be made to send them to Government hostels and link them with other government schemes
- Sankalp staff also identified 1 person each across 20 villages to build their capacity on the issue of child labor and ensure that they become village level contact person for this issue- though the 20 cadre requires regular capacity building on the issue.
- For adolescent groups Sankalp prepared listing of children in age group of 12- 18 yrs across 20 villages and total 773 children were identified.
- At Government level, there were –
- Campaign on prevention of children from migration and demanding hungami vasti gruh to ensure children do not migrate along with parents and indulge in labor (with various stakeholders meetings).
- Total 33 meetings took place with Gram panchayat and
- 47 meetings with Village Child Protection Committee.
Model building was done in Gunj Village Level Child Protection Committee (VCPC) formation. During the period Sankalp motivated the VCPC to conduct regular meeting with various stakeholders like gram panchayat (School Management Committee) and motivated them to demand Hungami vasti gruh and reduce migration. Also VCPC identified 5 children who were school dropout where due to economic reasons children were engaged in begging and in child labor. These children were referred to child welfare committee CWC (Child Welfare Committee) and enrolled into children’s home in Parbhani.
Sankalp also worked specifically with adolescent groups, children’s collective as well as with SMC (School Management Committee) during the enrolment drive and ensured to enrol all children into schools, also conducted regular monitoring to ensure that all of them are going to school on regular basis with the help of child tracking process and involving village level cadre / karyakarta. Sankalp staff also collected information on various government schemes for children and created awareness among the adolescent groups and motivated them to continue higher studies.
50% Reduction of child Marriage reported in the 20 villages –
- Out of the 22 identified, total 9 girl’s child marriage took place (“Gatekin” while remaining 13 girl’s child marriage prevention is in progress though home visits and involving VCPC(Village Level Child Protection Committee ))
- Total 8 schemes were identified from various departments, and referencing of the same initiated and based on the eligibility will link girls to the schemes to motivate them for higher education.
- Survey of 100 families done to work on the knowledge, attitude, practice (KAP) and to develop a role model. 16 families were identified to develop as model families who will motivate children to study and discourage child marriage.
- Total 33 village level awareness meetings were conducted with various stakeholders like VCPC/ Adolescents girls group and community.
The following are the upcoming plans for the organisation’s top focus:
50% reduction in child marriages across 20 villages of Mawat, Pathri of Parbhani district
- To develop understanding on the child marriage issues- factors (dowry/ economical issues/ society pressure/ nexus of child marriage outside the intervention area during migration.
- To understand the tradition, religious factors, economical factors, society pressure, and other factor (KAP) of the community Identifying various reasons and contributing factors of child marriage.
- Survey / collect data on number of marriages which took place in intervention area/ outside intervention area/ during migration seasons & without migration season.
- Work closely with adolescent girls group, yuvak group and children’s collective and CBOs (Community Based Organization) and various stakeholders. Listing of girls in the age group of 11yrs to 18 yrs and track them regularly-( Number of girl in school/ outside schools).
- Awareness campaigns across - Mahila mandal, adolescent groups/ Community Based Organisation on prevention of child marriage.
- To work with various government / non government stakeholders like VCPC(Village Level Child Protection Committee )/Probation officer/ Gram panchayat/ ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)worker/School Management Committee/Police etc.
50% Reduction in child labor from 20 villages of Mawat, Pathri of Parbhani district
- To build capacity of village level karyakarta/ cadre on issue of child labor/ working children.
- Conducting regular awareness programs and campaigns highlighting the issue of child labor - issue of migration.
- To identify and enrol children to hungami vasti gruh to prevent children migrating with families and becoming child labor.
- Follow up of 100 families and children to motivate for higher education and link them with government scheme.
- Identify child labor with child-wise tracking system and mainstream them into schools.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Protection
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics