on the details of
People's Action for People in Need (PAPN) is a non-profit organisation established in 1982 by a group of young professionals. APN facilitates sustained rural development through education, community awareness for rights of marginalised sections of the society. The first intervention of PAPN - a Socio-Economic Study of Sangrah Development Block was conducted during 1985. This study was followed up by small field level interventions focused on education awareness activities in a few villages of Sangrah Development Block. The remote and inaccessible parts of Shillai Development Block were also included in the project area of PAPN during 1989 to reach out to non-school going children through introduction of the Non-Formal Education Program with support from the Ministry of Human Resource Development. PAPN is operating in 5 Panchayats and 2 blocks of Sangraha and Ponta of Sirmour districts in Himachal Pradesh.
Sangrah and Shillai Development Blocks fall under the Trans-Giri region of Sirmour District of the northern Indian State of Himachal Pradesh which is comparatively less developed, inaccessible with the poor socio-economic status of the inhabitants. The whole Project area is hilly and rural with its eastern border with the tribal belt of Jaunsar-Bawar of Uttrakhand State. The district has a very low literacy rate especially among women and girls. Physical/Sexual exploitation of women and girls are very common in the area. Prevalence of social evils such as child marriage, alcoholism, rigid caste divisions and superstitions are seen. Health care facilities are inadequate and ineffective. Wide spread poverty, unproductive agriculture results in poor socio-economic status of the community.
There is shortage of safe drinking water, fodder and fuel wood. Inadequate and unhygienic sanitation facilities makes the health condition of children more vulnerable. Some other issues related to violation of child rights are - engagement of children in domestic and industrial labour, physical and mental abuse of children in the workplace, diseases due to occupational hazards.
- To ensure that children in the program area have access to quality education.
- To strengthen community based groups such as the School Management Committees to facilitate a sustainable model of education
- To enhance reproductive & child health care and nutrition in the Transgiri region
- Profiling of children in labour and addressing underlying causes
- Creating spaces and facilitating a process for children to exercise their right to expression and participation
- Community awareness on importance of immunisation, birth registration and issuance of birth certificates.
- Liaison with block and district administration to raise issues related to healthcare services.
- Community awareness on functioning of anganwadi centers; Tracking of all children under 0-6 years for health and nutrition assessment.
- Activation of PDS centres in 5 Panchayats and demand for new PDS centres in other areas.
- Mainstreaming school children and their orientation on basic provisions of the RTE Act, issues related to discrimination, corporal punishment to children etc.
- Liaison with campaign groups at the state level to demand for the formation of child protection committee in state.
- Sensitization of community on the importance of children's group formation.
- Facilitation of interaction of children with adults in village meetings
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Development
- Right to Survival
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics