on the details of
NEEDS was initiated with an objective of peace building among ethnic tribal communities across 10 villages in Churachandpur and Chandel districts of Manipur. In this phase they also started working on Income generating projects through 26 Self Help Groups (SHGs). They have also been working towards capacity building of people like farmers, youth leaders, community leaders and local communities on environmental issues, HIV/AIDS, conflict analysis and peace building. NEEDS has also been working with nearly 70 local NGOs, to build their knowledge and capacities on conflict analysis and peace building. The founder, Mr K Morang Maring hailed from tribal community and had the insight to realize that the people of such communities are deprived from any kind of development. The current Project Holder, Mr Angshem, has also been a victim of ethnic conflicts. He has been working with communities through NGOs in Odisha with a focus on trainings of community groups on peace building. Over the last two years, he has been working on child rights issues through the CRY supported project.
NEEDS works in 16 villages of Chandel and Thoubal district of Manipur with CRY partnership. The intervention districts are located adjacent to Imphal and are inhabited predominantly by tribal communities and almost all the people practice shifting cultivation by cutting the forest. The non-tribals are migrants from other districts coming for business set up at Moreh International trade centre. There are no health centers, Government dispensaries, health sub-centers in the vicinity of the project villages. There is an inadequate number of Anganwadi workers at ICDS centers and Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) in the project villages. Institutional delivery is as low as 16% of total child births. Villages located with regular road link and transportation services apparently have better health care coverage compared to those located in the interiors and remote areas.
There are a total of 19 schools in the 16 project villages under 4 blocks. Out of the 16 operational villages, 13 villages are newly settled after the internal displacement in the border area of the Chandel district and Myanmar after the violent ethnic conflict between Naga and Kuki. As this area lies next to Moreh, issue of trafficking is also rampant. NEEDS has also been highlighting trafficking cases over the years. Over the last one decade, this area has witnessed major ethnic conflicts which have created deep negative impacts on the life of the people particularly life security, socio-economy, education, health and other developmental aspects. Children are majorly affected because of these conflicts – they confront a high degree of malnutrition, very poor health care facilities and remain largely out of schools as they have to migrate for supplementing family incomes. Networking activity and awareness at community level on the issue is very much needed.
- To ensure access in quality education in 6 schools in the operational area.
- To ensure access and quality education in government school in 16 operating villages of project.
- To ensure access to free primary health services in 16 operational villages of project.
- To ensure all mother and children got complete immunization on time and reduce malnutrition of children in the 16 villages of the project area to zero level.
- To ensure children are free from drugs and illicit substance abuse.
- To ensuring happy childhood without any trauma and fear from ethnic conflict through children’s collective process and the engagement of adult domain.
- To create free and protected environment for children to express children’s view on child participation.
Review and Impact
NEEDS was not the only organization who committed to work in reducing the conflicts in Manipur. Due to joint efforts of various bodies, violent conflicts come to a standstill between the ethnic groups. The organization has intervened with the children groups in all the 16 villages, who have been instrumental in addressing the local peace building initiatives and also bridging the gap between local government officials and the local warring ethnic communities. Through their initiatives, these children’s groups have successfully been able to bring mindset changes in the communities in addressing ethnic violence issues.
Some of the major achievements of NEEDS in last year are:
- 100% immunization and quality health services were provided to the community.
- Regular meetings with the 6 schools have been initiated to strengthen the schools.
- Meeting was held with ICDS worker & Helper on regular delivery of nutrients supply.Nutritous food was distributed to 45 adolescent girls and 107 children. ICDS survey was also conducted in 7 villages.
- Facilitation and interface meetings with SMCs, Head Masters’, parents and community members have been on regular basis at the village level.
- Children process to motivate them to attend schools has supported the enrolment in the schools and activation of the schools in the 16 villages.
- In 4 villages weight and age of the children are being collected to identify status of malnourishment in children.
- Meeting and regular follow up with 17 ASHA volunteers of 15 villages in all NEEDS operational area.
- Series of meetings held with villagers on issues of protection like drug abuse and trafficking.
- Meeting with youth leaders and woman human right activist at Molnoi area regarding children drug abuse and non-schooling children specially staying in rented houses was undertaken.
- There are 10 children groups in operational villages with membership of 701 children. Several activities were conducted for children groups.
- Cluster level children clubs formed at NEEDS Regional office at Khangshim . Each village nominated 2 or 3 leaders and 24 children screened.
In the state of Manipur broad strategy is to focus on protection issue through partnership and strengthening alliance. In the coming year Health and education issues will be addressed as means to respond to protection issues in the state.
The key highlights of activities planned for the coming year are as follows:
- Organizing consultation on child trafficking issues in 5 blocks of Chandel district for different stakeholders.
- There will be formation of block and district level child protection committee.
- Campaign will be taken up at block and district level on child trafficking through meetings and interface.
- Development of system and data collection on child trafficking through stake holders.
- Sensitization programme on POCSO Act and JJ Act at Stakeholder level through meetings.
- Meeting will be done with village chiefs, and clergy on respecting the dignity of the children and support the growth of the child.
- Process for safe environment will be facilitated through children activities and sharing children on 'good touch and bad touch' with the schools.
- NEEDS will network with all allied organization in district working on CSA and build a network.
- There will be meeting and consultation with Social welfare dept at district level.
- Capacity Building program on JJ System to be organized for Project Staff and volunteer representatives with preparation of strategy for operation in the district.
- Children collectives will be strengthened through children life skill training programme.
- School children will be mobilized at cluster/block level and lay down foundation for formation of children federation.
- Child participation workshop will be held with the staffs/ volunteers.
- Ensuring children to participate in the District Level children festival for collective learning on participation.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Protection
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics