on the details of
The organization was started in 1993 by Mr. Morang Maring who hails from a tribal community and had the insight to realize that the people of such communities are deprived from any kind of development. These people live in the hills and were dependant on forest and forest products. But fast deforestation was a threat to their livelihood and two major ethnic conflicts in the area led to displacement of the tribal communities from the hills to plains. NEEDS was actively involved in reducing the Naga-Kuki conflicts in 1993-96 and also Kuki-Paite conflicts in 1996-98. NEEDS has worked with people affected by ethnic conflicts in 10 villages in Churachandpur and Chandel districts. Income generating projects were introduced through 26 Self Help Groups (SHGs). Capacity building of people like farmers, youth leaders, community leaders, general public was done where NEEDS sensitized 784 people on environmental issues, HIV/AIDS, conflict analysis and peace building. NEEDS also worked for capacity building of other CBOs and NGOs of North East India. 70 NGOs were capacitated on conflict analysis and peace building.
The intervention districts are located adjacent to Imphal as a business center which has resulted in outbreak of many conflicts. The districts are inhabited predominantly by tribal communities and almost all the people practice shifting cultivation by cutting the forest. The non-tribals are migrants from other districts coming for business set up at Moreh International trade centre. There is no health centers, Government dispensaries, health sub-centers in the vicinity of the project villages. There is inadequate number of Anganwadi workers at ICDS centers and Accredited Social Healtg Activist (ASHA) in the project villages. Institutional delivery is as low as 16% of total child births. Villages located with regular road link and transportation services apparently have better health care coverage compared to those located in the interiors and remote areas.
There are a total of 19 schools in the 16 project villages under 4 blocks. Out of the 16 operational villages, 13 villages are newly settled after the internal displacement in the border area of the Chandel district and Myanmar after the violent ethnic conflict between Naga and Kuki. As this area lies next to Moreh, issue of trafficking is also rampant. In 2008, 22 trafficking cases were highlighted by NEEDS. Networking activity and awareness at community level on the issue is very much needed.
- To enhance nutritional and health status of children in operation area through the mobilization of systemic entitlement rights of children.
- To ensure proper care and protection of children through community mobilization on child right issues.
- To improve the status of education of children in the operational area through activation of government schools in the operational area.
Review and Impact
- NEEDS works in 16 villages of Chandel and Thoubal district of Manipur. Organization and its team members have developed the understanding on child rights.
- 100% immunization and quality health services were provided to the community.
- Community level meetings on health have given some results in activation of services by health officials.
- Interface with the social welfare department and education officials.
- Networking was done on the issue of children's rights to food, like implementation of social security entitlement of the individual.
- Increasing coverage of immunization and birth registration.
- Activation and regular supply of food nutrients from Integrated Child Development
- Scheme (ICDS) and Public Distribution System (PDS).
- Awareness and capacity building of women and community leaders on activation of health services.
- Activation of public schools and advocacy for opening schools in villages where there are no government schools.
- Ensure equal education opportunity for all children.
- Engagement of children in education activities and protection from substance abuse.
- Creation of forum for adolescent children and create space for constructive socialization process.
- Prevent and protect children from being trafficked.
- Ensuring girl child get equal treatment and opportunities from parents.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Development
- Right to Survival
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics