on the details of
Narayanjee Chowdhury and his 7 friends founded Mithila Gram Vikas Parishad (MGVP) and they decided to work with the rural marginalized communities in Darbhanga, Madhubani and Supaul district of flood affected North Bihar. Initially MGVP started with research on the local issues with SIBAMO and has been working in this sector since the last 20years and has made some commendable changes in the lives of the people.
Supaul district is situated in northern Bihar and shares territory with Nepal, Araria, Madhepura and Saharsa. This district was carved out in 1991 and presently known as the heart of the Koshi basin. Agriculture and animal husbandry based economy is the main source of income.
The district comprises of a heterogeneous mix of castes including Brahmins and Schedule Castes. The 2010 flood changed the lives of the villagers and most importantly the children became the worst affected as they were displaced from the schools and their childhood. High accumulation of silt from the Himalayan range and structural intervention like dams, barrages which actually protected the normal flow of the river caused havoc and the flood has caused devastation in the area with prolonged water logging and severe damage to assets. After 2010 flood, 80% of the families became landless and uprooted from their traditional livelihood sources. This has serious implications on food and health care services. All the ICDS centers are operating only on paper and the schools are closed.
Children are engaged in domestic chores and working as child labor in the local markets, tea shops, hotels etc and have started to migrate with their father, uncles or community peer groups into different cities. Unsecured livelihood and adverse conditions in childhood is a major factor for early marriages and thus early motherhood. Fear of sexual exploitation, stigmatization of the marginalized girl children, lack of education are factors for the early marriages of the girl children.
- To promote research and action for development of weaker sections like women and children, scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, farmers, artisans and laborers.
- To organize meetings, workshops for the development of awareness in the people, exchanging information and generating social responsibilities in educated youth in the society.
- To empower the schedule caste and tribes for generation of employment, promotion of livelihood and protection of the environment.
- To work for promotion of education, health, peace & justice, human and citizens rights.
Review and Impact
- Understanding of the project staff on right based interventions, childrens issues and rights, linkages between children issues and larger issues and advocacy for child rights.
- Team building and capacity building exercise done for the roject staff to ensure proper planning of the activities.
- Household surveys to disseminate the objective of project and building personal relation with each household. Also rimary data of schools and ICDS centers has been collected.
- Community meetings were organized on enrollment and retention of children in primary and middle schools, immunization, birth registration, monitoring the ICDS center.
- Bal Mandli meetings, women group meetings, 2 child activities were conducted (1 in Dighia and 1 in Ithari).
- The formation of Bal Panchayat in 12 clusters involving the boys and girls (9 to 14 years).
- Emphasis was given on regular opening of schools, school building, teacher timeliness, new teachers, and regularization of mid day meals.
- Community mobilization process, facilitating the process of Koshi Maha Setu Pirit Sangarsh Samiti, Memorandum to local administration has been taken up.
- To ensure enrolment and retention of dropouts and out of school children, with a focus on girl children.
- To ensure regular immunization, birth registrations and health checkups of children.
- To study the malnutrition status in the area and related action.
- To activate Schools, ICDS centers, Health centers through the community mobilization process.
- To empower the community and womens groups and ensure their collective action for child rights.
- To link the reference community with relevant government programs.
- To bring the flood induced displacement issue and child rights violations in the public domain.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Development
- Right to Survival
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics