on the details of
District Samastipur, Bihar, India
Thematic Intervention: Education, Protection (Child labor, Child Marriage)
Jawahar Jyoti Bal Vikas Kendra (JJBVK) was registered under Societies registration Act of 1860 and is currently working in the Sarairanjan block of Samastipur district. In the name Jawahar Jyoti Bal Vikas Kendra, Jawahar comes from our first prime minister’s name and Jyoti from the name of Jyotiba Phule. JJBVK in partnership with CRY had undertaken activities and process to improve the lives of the children and reduce their vulnerability level through community participation. The main aim of the organisation is enhancing capacity of the marginalized community towards socio-economic-political and cultural development. The project holder is Surender Kumar. On 15 Aug 1986 Jawahar Jyoti Bal Vikas Sangh was formed after flag hoisting ceremony by a well respected local leader. In that time Surender ji emerged as a person, upon whom there was a large expectation of the marginalized community. He himself is from the same community who has been struggled for the land rights, proper wages and social positioning in the community.
JJBVK is partnering with CRY since last 10 years and mostly focused on the holistic child rights issues of the marginalized Dalit communities in Sarairanjan block of Samastipur. Children from the marginalized communities in Samastipur district do not complete their 10th standard from government schools. In fact, the pre-school education processes at the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)center for cognitive development has become feeble as the focus has largely shifted on supplementary nutrition program (SNP) management. The Anganwadi workers also do not focus on imparting the pre-school education sessions with the children. The problems in the middle schools (class I to class VIII) encompass the factor of poor PTR, inadequate infrastructure, delayed book distribution and poor participation of the VSS in the quality management. Less number of teachers and teachers being involved in the official work process (as deputation) created the shortfall of teachers and even impacted as multi-grade learning. Children from the marginalized communities attending primary school started to develop weak learning due to multi grade teaching as there are less number of teachers in the school which leads to dropout of children.
Livelihood has always been the priority area due to the low landholding pattern within the target communities. The families depend on the agriculture related works for having regular income and also working in the tobacco processing process (KHAINI) in the village. The dropouts children start to work with their parents in nearby fields either digging potato or in the tobacco field along with their parents to support the family income while some move out to other cities for employment. Migration starts among the boys from the age of 14 from these villages with their relatives, while the girls are married off at early age.
- To create awareness in the community on importance of the pre-school education (PSE).
- To sensitize ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) workers for implementation of quality pre-school education (PSE) to all children.
- To ensure 100% coverage of the 3-6 years children under the ambit of ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)services.
- To ensure retention of children with special focus to girl children
- To ensure re-enrolment of the drop out and out of school children in the school in 6-14 years
- To sensitize the community against the impact of work in the lives of the children
- To sensitize the community and child protection committee members on the effects of child marriage
- To ensure active engagement of girls (especially from Musahar & Fisherman communities) in the CC process
Achievements & Impact in the Review Period
JJBVK has started working as per CRY’s program deepening strategy on education/protection issues instead of holistic issue from 2014-15. As per CRY’s criticality analysis Samastipur district falls under high critical in protection issues and high critical in education too. The organization has closely worked with community like Musahar, Ravidas, Dushad, Paswan communities from 16 –villages of Sarairanjan block and 5-urban slum of Samastipur district and also focused on the empowerment of the community based organization leaders. During the year process of community mobilization, capacity building of stakeholder and advocacy & networking with government officials have been carried out. In the context of in-depth programming on education and protection issues, the organization focused on ensuring all children from the project area are in school till class 8 and ensure that protective environment and safety nets are in place to curb the child labor and child marriage.
Few of the achievements last years are as follows:
- Preschool education (3-6 years children) - Tracking of all children under 3-6 years age group.
- Village level monthly meetings were organized ensuring participation of women from Mata Samiti, Anganwadi Vikas Samiti and villagers to sensitize them on pre-school education, regularization of children in ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centers and also monitoring them.
- The regular interface and discussion resulted in increased monitoring of ICDS( Integrated Child Development Services) centers & increased mobility of supervisor in the field.
- Demand has been placed by JJBVK for 7 new ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centers based on the survey and mapping of ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) Centers.
- JJBVK has listed all the children who are dropout, out of school, child labor and are tracking them on monthly basis - counselling of parents, motivating children, meeting with head master for enrolment has been carried out on regular basis.
- Capacity building was done and discussion held on Right to Education (RTE), mid day meal and regularization of children in school. The capacity building was instrumental in building their knowledge on function of school and their role in activation of school.
- Motivate these children for enrolment in school
- Counselling parents for child education
- Linking children to child retention center
- Linking parents to social security scheme
- Aware community on child labor and its effects on child health and education
- JJBVK organized Gosthi/Nukkad Sabha on the occasion of Anti Child Labor Day where discussion was held on prevention of child labor, regularization of children in school, different government schemes on income generation which the community can avail.
- Process of linking the families to the social security schemes, PDS (Public Distribution System)and government sponsorship - Parwarish scheme was undertaken.
- A week long program was organized by JJBVK at school level in Sarairanjan block engaging the children and teachers to address the issue of child marriage, where discussion was held on different children issues in the presence of teachers, in a protected environment of the school etc.
- With the active involvement of JJBVK and community support 67 child marriage got prevented
- Community are becoming aware on early marriages and sending their girl child for higher education.
- Meeting, capacity building training, developing the cultural tools as change instrument, institutional capacity building has been the key measures taken up by the organization to form children collectives.
In 16 Villages in Sarairanjan block 100% enrollment in ICDS for children in the age group of 3-6 years.(Integrated Child Development Services)
- Identification of 3-6 years and inclusion of ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)who are not enrolled in the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)centres, with a focus on the girl child.
- Sensitization sessions with mothers/ caregivers on importance & components of PSE(Pre School Education), regularity of children at ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services) center with special emphasis to girl children.
- Village level rally, usage of wall writing, poster publication on importance of PSE(Pre School Education).
- Engagement with the ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)workers on importance of pre-school education, regularization of pre-school education (PSE) & usage of PSE tools/kits/materials.
- Placing demand to CDPO(Child Development Project Officer)/ DPO(District Programme Officer) to open new ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services)center on priority basis through Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRI) and sending the application to state level.
In 16 villages, 100% children are retained in schools in the age group of 6-14 years
- Identification and tracking of 6-14 years age group child. (House to house).
- Regular interaction with parents of identified children who are enrolled in school but not regular to school and counselling support to Parents and children.
- Identification of dropout and potential dropout children and taking up individual counselling session with them and their parents for re-enrolment of dropout children with special emphasis to girl children.
- Regular interaction with teachers and sensitization of teacher about their roles and responsibility towards the retention of the children.
- Capacity building of the VSS members and working with them to change their mindset and own the schools.
- Engagement with the BEO/DEO(District Education Officer) and place the charter of demand by the VSS members.
Reduction in child labor in 16 hamlets of Sarairanjan Block in 6-14 years.
- House to house survey to identify 6-14 age group children who are working as a child labor.
- Mapping of children in the age group of 14-18 years- preparation of status report in 03 categories (migrant children, children at work in the village, children in village not working).
- Handholding support to child protection committee (CPC) members on their roles and responsibilities.
- Support CWC (Child Welfare Committee) develops an individual child care plan based on an inquiry undertaken from support agency.
- Arrange monthly sensitization meeting regarding implications of child marriage/ sensitization regarding laws and policy made to prevent child marriage.
- Meeting with adolescent girl and boy regarding bad implications of child marriage. Discussion on long term impact of child marriage on his/her education as well as health.
Spaces created in the community for children’s expression and views
- Mobilize children collective members to contribute with their views/ ideas to the children Magazine (annual- Bachho ki Awaz)
- Organize Bal Mela as a platform with children collective members at community level for expression of their skills, knowledge.
- Capacity building process for the adolescent girls on different forms of violence, gender discrimination etc.
- Refresher training sessions on the objective and function of children collective (during the monthly meetings) members.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Education
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics