on the details of
Guriya started working in 1992 to address the issues related to children of sex workers and to fight against forced prostitution. Guria started its journey with adoption of 3 children of a woman in prostitution (WIP). After fighting their cause for many years with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), National Commission for Women, running educational programs for the children of the WIP, Guriya has been able to break the nexus of mafia-pimp-police to a great extent in the roject area. Guriya is now concentrating on eliminating second-generation rostitution, preventing child prostitution and trafficking of women and children for prostitution and other forms of sexual exploitation. They also work towards creating an exploitation free red light area. The strategy is to create awareness among the women in prostitution about their human rights and to end their dependence on the criminal nexus of prostitution in the 'red light areas'..
The extent of trafficking in the eastern parts of Uttar Pradesh is grave, and inaction on part of the administration makes it even worse. The geographical location of the state makes it feasible for the origin, transition and culmination from the point of view of trafficking. There has been an increase in the number of people missing from the state and it includes many minor girls and women. With further breakdown of the data, 94% of the missing persons are from backward and scheduled castes. Children and women are easily trafficked to other states of India as well as cross border. In the past few years, there has been a major increase in the cross border trafficking through Nepal as it shares a free border with India. While women and children are particularly vulnerable to trafficking for the sex trade, human trafficking is not limited to sexual exploitation.
It also includes persons who are trafficked into 'forced' marriages or into bonded labor markets, such as sweat shops, agricultural plantations or domestic service. One of the most important constraints in developing sustainable and comprehensive strategies to combat trafficking has been the lack of validated data and information. Law enforcement is hampered by serious limitations as trafficking is a complex crime, sometimes extending beyond the jurisdictional boundaries of law enforcement officials. This is further compounded by lack of proper procedures for assessment of age of the rescued victims, inadequacy of women police staff, and absence of training / orientation / infrastructure as well as public support systems.
- To study the origin, transit and culmination point of child trafficking and child prostitution in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- To prepare case studies of trafficked children for understanding the socio-economic causes of child trafficking and child prostitution.
- To initiate awareness campaigns in the transit and culmination into of child trafficking and child prostitution.
- To develop an interface with government officials, law makers, media so as to sensitize them against child trafficking and child prostitution.
- To develop interface with other organizations, UN bodies, international organizations, government organizations like NHRC, Women Commission, and the Children Welfare Committee on issues of child trafficking and child prostitution.
Review and Impact
The organization is working on the issue of child trafficking. The dedication to the issue is well reflected in the long term involvement of the organization on issues related to trafficking and working continuously for the cause. Guriya has made itself a well known face at the national as well as international level.
The organization continues to work in the red light area of Shivdaspur even today and has extended its work in the red light area of Mau. In Mau also, the organization is working on the same lines as Shivdaspur.
Some of their major achievements include:
- 211 missing cases were identified and all the cases were visited to understand the scenario. In 50 cases Guria succeeded in rescuing the children and restoring them with their families.
- 36 new legal cases against 84 traffickers were started in 2012.
- Through 2 major rescue operations, Guria succeeded in rescuing 45 minor girls.
- Media was involved where individual stories of trafficked children were shared along with interviews of the Project Holder to sensitize the community.
- roject team engaged with school children (8th - 10th standards) to create awareness about child trafficking. Different art forms were used as mediums to reach out to children across 19 villages.
- Collection of data on information of missing children from the intervention area.
- Scanning of media reports on trafficked children.
- Documentation of the socio-economic profiles and backgrounds of trafficked children.
- Highlight issues related to trafficking through features in local, regional and national media.
- Anti trafficking campaign in the transit, source and culmination oints of child trafficking and child prostitution.
- Identification of volunteers in the community and make them more vigilant and alert on the issue of trafficking and exploitation.
- To develop interface with the state and central government officials, law makers, media so as to sensitize them against child trafficking.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Protection
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics