on the details of
Guriya started working since 1992 to address the issues related to children of sex workers and to fight against forced prostitution. Guria started its journey with adoption of 3 children of a woman in prostitution (WIP). After fighting their cause for all these years with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), National Commission for Women, running educational programs for the children of the WIP, Guriya has been able to break the nexus of mafia-pimp-police to a great extent. Guriya is now concentrating on eliminating second-generation prostitution, preventing child prostitution and trafficking of women and children for prostitution and other forms of sexual exploitation. It also works for creating an exploitation free red light area. The strategy is to create awareness among the women in prostitution of their human and civil rights and to end their dependence on the criminal nexus of prostitution in the ‘red light areas’.
The extent of trafficking in the eastern parts of Uttar Pradesh is grave, and inaction on part of the administration makes it even worse. The geographical location of the state makes it feasible for the origin, transition and culmination from point of view of trafficking. There has been an increase in the number of people missing from the state and it includes mostly minor girls and women. With further breakdown of the data, 94% of the missing persons are from backward and scheduled caste. Children and women are easily trafficked to other states of the country as well as cross border. In the past few years, there has been a major increase in the cross border trafficking through Nepal as it shares free border with India. While women and children are particularly vulnerable to trafficking for the sex trade, human trafficking is not limited to sexual exploitation. It also includes persons who are trafficked into 'forced' marriages or into bonded labor markets, such as sweat shops, agricultural plantations, or domestic service. One of the most important constraints in developing sustainable and comprehensive strategies to combat trafficking has been the lack of validated data and information. Law enforcement is hampered by serious limitations as trafficking is a very complex crime, extending beyond the jurisdictional boundaries of law enforcement officials. This is further compounded by lack of proper procedures for assessment of age of the rescued victims, inadequacy of women police staff, and absence of training / orientation / infrastructure as well as public support systems.
- To study the origin, transit and culmination point of child trafficking and child prostitution in Eastern Uttar Pradesh.
- To prepare the case studies of traffic children for understanding socio-economic causes of child trafficking and child prostitution.
- To initiate awareness campaign in the transit and culmination point of child trafficking and child prostitution.
- To develop interface with the state govt. and central govt. officials, law makers, media so as to sensitize them against child trafficking and child prostitution.
- To develop network with grassroots organizations to attack the root causes of child trafficking and child prostitutions.
- To rescue trafficked children (whether individually or in group).
- Following the legal processes of rescued children in lower and if possible in High Court.
- To develop interface with other organizations, UN bodies, international organizations, Govt. organization like NHRC, Women Commission, and Children Welfare Committee to address the issues of child trafficking and child prostitution.
Guriya has been working on the issue of trafficking and with the children in sex trade and children of sex workers whose number has been increasing almost every day. Uttar Pradesh is known for source, transit and destination area of trafficking and it is difficult to overlook this issue. In such a situation, work of Guriya in rescuing trafficked children, following the cases through legal intervention (to punish the traffickers) and awareness among people in areas of source, transit and destination in the State is important. Also, Guriya’s has constructively engaged with concerned national institutions (NCPCR, NHRC), local administration, police and Supreme Court and regional judiciary and security forces (SSB).The organization is also engaging in policy making to control human trafficking at the national level. Through the review year the organization was involved in individual rescue and pursuing some of their legal cases at local and High Court level. Guriya also got involved in awareness generation on the issue of trafficking, formation of community based groups to monitor the situation of vulnerable children and identifying volunteers from the reference community and making them more vigilant and alert on the issue of trafficking. They have moved the Anti Trafficking campaign in the transit, source and culmination points of child trafficking and child prostitution. Guriya utilized the experience as well as information gathered over the years before National Advisory Committee on Human Trafficking (set up Central Government) on advocating against trafficking of children. PIL on missing children and its link with trafficking was accepted in Supreme Court. The organization will utilize the orders from Supreme Court on this PIL for further advocacy across the country against trafficking of children.
Some of the highlights are:
- 191 cases of missing children were identified, 86 children among them were successfully traced out.
- Rescue operations were carried out in different partners intervention areas namely Sonebhadra.
- The organisation has been able to rescue 17 girls this year.All the case studies were documented and produced for further legal processes.
- Anti trafficking Campaign was done in four places in Mau and Ghazipur districts.
- 15 village meetings were conducted where people in the village. The organization utilized these village meetings to understand their issues especially those which lead to trafficking. Villagers were informed about trafficking and traffickers modus-operandi.
- Awareness campaigns were conducted in 3 schools of in Maharajganj and 3 schools in Siddarathnagar were covered.
- Till date the organization has filed a total of 315 cases against 853 human traffickers.
- Collection of data throughout the year from different sources , compiled and classified to understand the means used for trafficking.
- In depth operation to be carried out to understand the chronic nature of the situation (both in individual and group rescue) and accordingly the decisions will be taken.
- Case studies to be prepared by the staff to share it in different forums like in Supreme Court and High Court or advocacy process in media or with government and government appointed committees.
- Capacity Building of youth from identified villages from the intervention areas for building an understanding on various aspects of rescue operation of minor girls/boys from different areas.
- Data collection on migration and understand its linkages with CSA, early marriage and migration in Mau, Ghazipur, Azamgarh and Varanasi.
- Part Legal support to PIL in Supreme Court on the linking of cases of missing children with trafficking of these children.
- Focussing on community mobilisation on Preventive aspect of trafficking by Street Plays, Folk Songs, Campaign in schools.
- To develop interface with the state and central govt. officials, law makers, media so as to sensitize them against child trafficking.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Protection
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics