on the details of
Disha Vihar was registered in 2003 to work towards the backward, exploited and Dalit communities and to bring them in the mainstream socio-political processes to build a just society. They leaded the National Literacy campaign in the district (NLM) and awareness generation for Polio Campaign with UNICEF as polio children was identified in this district. They worked on social mobilization process with the target community closely with UNICEF & WHO. Disha Vihar has closely worked with the people in Diara land who were displaced by Ganga flood and Fishing community n Munger district. The organization has taken up women rights issues and local governance issues in the operational area. In regards to the communal harmony and campaign for social cohesiveness they organize various cultural programs by their team and also in Manav Jodo Abhiyan. The Project Holder Mr. Abhay Kumar Akela, has been involved in the Ganga Mukti Andolan, the Munger movement and the Rashtriya Seva Dal. He was actively involved in the Bihar Pradesh Lok Samiti. He played an important role in ensuring that peace resumed after the Bhagalpur riots by organizing various communal harmony programmes in Munger district.
The current intervention is spread across 15 villages in Munger Sadar, 10 villages in Tarapur, 10 villages in Kharagpur and 10 villages in Asarganj blocks of Munger district, Bihar. Located in Southern Bihar, Munger district is famous for its natural resources- forests, hills and rivers. These areas suffer from annual inundation, erosion, water clogging and sand deposition due to the flooding of the Ganges and its tributaries. The district experiences drought and floods simultaneously which affects the agricultural activities of Bhinds, Kumhars, Banias, Dhobi communities. As a result people migrate from the villages. The health service delivery systems are not functioning properly which leads to low level of birth registration and immunization of children and pregnant women. Due to financial constraints and lack of livelihood options, children discontinue education in and get engaged in shops, hotels and/or as domestic labour. 185 children are directly engaged in labour work in the area and about 720 children have migrated to other places and working as labour. Girl child marriage is another issue prevailing in the area. The reason behind this is social taboo, traditions, fear of girl child safety and poverty.
- To ensure 3-6 years children are enrolled in the ICDS and getting equal benefit.
- To ensure routine immunization, health care services to all children.
- To track the malnourished children and facilitate referral services.
- To ensure that all children in the age group of 6-14 years and 14-18 years are in school.
- To reduce the incidence of child marriages and child labour in the operational villages.
- To strengthen the children collective (Munna Munni Manch) on their rights.
- To carry awareness generation / sensitization program with the reference group towards children issues.
- To empower community, volunteers and ensuring their participation for making child friendly environment free from child labour and child marriage.
Review and Impact
- Engagement with child labour, working child, dropout and out of school children through cultural education center and their mainstreaming in school.
- Developing volunteer base and their Capacity building for taking up children process.
- Strengthening children collective and ensuring girl child participation in the collective.
- Evidence based advocacy (Developing status report of ICDS, School, Child Labour and sharing with government officials and media).
- Strengthening & empowering women group, community based organization and community on children issues and ensuring their collective action for ensuring child rights.
- Linking reference community with pro poor government schemes.
- Sensitizing different stakeholder (Teacher, Head master, SMC members, PRI representative and Community) on RTE and their role and responsibility.
Cultural education center called Jeevan Shala is one of the successful strategy of Disha Vihar for taking up process with the children who are dropout, never gone school children, working child and child labour and their mainstreaming in formal school.
Women’s groups have been engaged in ensuring birth registration, immunization for all children, health check-ups and nutrition supplements for pregnant women and children and linking children with local ICDS centres. Taking up the issue of adolescent girls like TT, Health and Hygiene, Reproductive health, the organization has been sharing information in the meeting of adolescent girls at village level.
National Nutrition week was celebrated in the review period with a view to increase awareness among the reference community members on the issue of malnutrition.
Disha Vihar continuously engaged with different government department and media personnel on the issue of children in the area and infrastructural issue related to it. They also developed status report on ICDS and School and shared it with government officials, MLA and Media. If we look at the lives of children, the retention and enrolment has increased with focus on girl child. Children in ICDS are also getting pre-school education and at the same time community has became much aware on education of children. Similarly, for the last two year there have been no child marriage in 43 villages .
- 511 children were supported through the 25 Cultural Education Centres [CECs].
- 131 child laborers /working children were mainstreamed in local Primary /middle schools from the CECs.
- 207 children, aged 3 - 5 years, were linked with ICDS for pre-school education. It has been possible due to community efforts and interfacing with sevika/sahikya.
- Total of 207 children were linked to 35 ICDS center in five blocks.
- 15 child labour and 139 working child linked to school. Regular follow up of these children is being carried out by the project staff.
- Running 25 Jeevan Shala in five blocks of two districts
- Identification and Tracking of 6-14 years children who are out of school/drop out/irregular/Child labour and linking them to school.
- Linking children to ICDS for preschool education (3 to 6 years).
- District level workshop on quality education.
- Complete immunization of 0-2 years children and Birth registration.
- Study on community behavior towards health issue, strengthening participation of women’s collectives on this theme.
- Child tracking of 0-2 years and ensuring immunization as per the Govt schedule and Birth registration.
- Identification and tracking of beneficiaries (SAM/Malnourished) children and their follow up, linking children to ICDS /NRC.
- To arrest child labour, minimise child marriages, identify potential risk families and provide a protective environment.
- Capacity building of project staff on child labour and other child rights protection issues.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Survival
- Right to Development
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Annual Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics