on the details of
Disha Vihar was registered in 2003 to work for the backward and dalit communities and to bring them in the mainstream socio-political processes to build a just society. They led the National Literacy campaign in the district (NLM) and awareness generation for the olio Campaign with UNICEF as polio children were identified in this district. They worked on social mobilization rocess with the target community with UNICEF & WHO. Disha Vihar has closely worked with the people in Diara who were displaced by the Ganga flood and the fishing community in Munger district. The organization has taken up women rights issues and local governance issues in the operational area. In regards to the communal harmony and campaign for social cohesiveness they organize various cultural programs by their team and also in Manav Jodo Abhiyan.
The Project Holder Mr. Abhay Kumar Akela, has been involved in the Ganga Mukti Andolan, the Munger movement and the Rashtriya Seva Dal. He was actively involved in the Bihar Pradesh Lok Samiti and played an important role in ensuring that peace resumed after the Bhagalpur riots by organizing various communal harmony rograms in Munger district.
The current intervention is spread across 15 villages in Sadar, 10 villages in Tarapur, 10 villages in Kharagpur and 10 villages in Asarganj blocks of Munger district, Bihar. Located in Southern Bihar, Munger district is famous for its natural resources - forests, hills and rivers. These areas suffer from annual inundation, erosion, water clogging and sand deposition due to the flooding of the Ganges and its tributaries.
The district experiences drought and floods simultaneously which affects the agricultural activities of the Bhinds, Kumhars, Banias, Dhobi communities. As a result people migrate from the villages. The health service delivery systems are not functioning properly which leads to low level of birth registrations and immunization of children and pregnant women. Due to financial constraints and lack of livelihood options, children discontinue their education and get engaged in shops, hotels and/or as domestic labor. 185 children are directly engaged in labor work in the area and about 720 children have migrated to other places and working as labor. Girl child marriage is another issue prevailing in the area. The reasons behind this are social taboos, traditions, fear of girl child safety and poverty.
- To ensure child rights in the operational area are restored through capacity building of the reference group.
- To strengthen and enable for pro-people systems with special focus on health, education, Public Distribution System and ensure accessibility of the services for the marginalized.
- To enhance the leadership and empowerment amongst the Diara displaced community.
- To mobilize the fishing community in the district and build the strategic alignment with local people's collectives.
Review and Impact
For the past few years Disha Vihar has been running cultural centers called Jeevan Shala's for children who are drop outs, out of school, never gone to school, children engaged in daily labor. It has formed block level Munna Munni Munch (children's groups) in all 4 blocks comprising 20-25 children in each group.
This year 21 children's groups were formed with participation of 405 children. Wall magazine activity was organized in 22 schools of 4 blocks,where children made their paintings and wrote poems, songs and stories for display on the school board. A rally was organized with focus on education for working children, besides building awareness among the community on quality education, mid-day meals and other child rights issues. In this rally 450 children participated from the intervention area. Process of data collection was initiated for disabled children in all the 45 villages. A survey was done on the ICDS centers that are functional in the villages, based on which some areas were identified where new centers need to be set up. Block level youth meetings were organized on the issue of child rights, common school system, technical education and life skill training for youth, right to education and the role of youth and their articipation on the proper functioning of schools. Some achievements of Disha Vihar in review period are:
- Out of 45 villages, 43 villages are now child marriage free.55 child labor and 83 working children were re-enrolled in rimary and middle schools through the Jeevan Shala process.
- 90% institutional deliveries were ensured in public health institutions.
- Continuation of the Jeevan Shala cultural process to ensure child participation.
- Workshop with the Block Education Officer, Head Master, Teachers and activists on their role in context to the right to education.
- Study of impact on the lives of children with proposed land acquisition by the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) in Suryagarha block of Lakhisarai and use the report as an advocacy tool.
- Capacity building workshop for women on malnutrition, alternative nutritional supplement, immunization, health issues and women's rights.
- Bal Sansad for children of Munna Munni Manch, Jeevan Shala and other school children.
- Establishment of a Bal Pustakalay (Library) for children.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Development
- Right to Survival
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics