on the details of
Disha Vihar was registered in 2002-03 to work towards the backward, exploited and Dalit communities and to bring them in the mainstream socio-political processes to build a just society. They leaded the National Literacy campaign in the district (NLM) and awareness generation for Polio Campaign with UNICEF as polio children was identified in this district. They worked on social mobilization process with the target community closely with UNICEF & WHO. In regards to community mobilization process, they had close work with the Diara people who have been displaced by Ganga flood and Fishing community n Munger district. DISHA –VIHAR has also taken up their women rights issues and local governance issues in the operational area. In regards to the communal harmony and campaign for social cohesiveness they organize various cultural programs by their team and also in Manav Jodo Abhiyan. The Project Holder Mr. Abhay Kumar Akela, has been involved in the Ganga Mukti Andolan, the Munger movement and the Rashtriya Seva Dal. He was actively involved in the Bihar Pradesh Lok Samiti. He played an important role in ensuring that peace resumed after the Bhagalpur riots by organizing various communal harmony programmes in Munger district
The current intervention is spread over 11 villages/tolas of Sadar block of Munger district, (directly) and 10 villages each from Asarganj, Tarapur and Kharagpur block (indirectly). Located in Southern Bihar, Munger district is famous for its natural resources- forests, hills and rivers. The district has two types of landscapes- the Diara land and Tal land. These areas suffer from annual inundation, erosion, water clogging and sand deposition due to the flooding of the Ganges and its tributaries. The district experiences drought and floods simultaneously. This affects agriculture severely. People especially the youths have to migrate to safer places due to floods. For the marginal and small farming communities like the Bhinds, Kumhars, Banias, Dhobis and Muslims, agriculture is not a viable livelihood option. And these communities have been recently selling their land at nominal prices to the landlords and have turned to working as daily wage labourers. Due to Govt.’s faulty forest laws, the marginalized communities have lost control over the forests. Wage discrimination is rampant in the area. The state service delivery systems are defunct and the mechanism is anti pro-people and does not address their needs. Low awareness level is also a reason for the poor status of birth registration and proper check up of the children and pregnant women. Quality of education in the schools is poor in terms of educational materials, curriculum and regularity. Strong presence of the dominant culture actually becomes the obstacle for child expression and inclusion in decision making. Disha Vihar aims to establish society based on equality & free from exploitation economic discrimination and social discrimination.
- To ensure child rights in the operational area through capacity building of the reference group.
- To strengthen and advocate for pro-people systems (special focus on health, education, PDS) and increase the accessibility of the services for the vulnerable people.
- To enhance the leadership and capacity amongst the DIARA displaced community and leading their movement.
- To mobilize the fishing community in the district and build the strategic alignment with local people’s collectives.
Review and Impact
Disha Vihar has been working for the last four years in the operational area and initiated various children processes which have brought some positive changes towards establishing child rights. There has been a marked change in the situation of child health and education after intervention. Organization sustained effort towards mobilizing the people’s organization. Intensive advocacy and mass mobilization in project villages has led to functioning of ICDS centre, health centers, regularized services of ANM and ASHA workers. The reference community and sangthan members also proactively participated in school intervention process. On internal capacity building, program was organized in which the issues of people’s organization and its strengthening, mobilization of community, common school system and right to education were taken up.
- This year the organization has done survey on socio-economic profile of fishermen and mazdoors associated with stone quarry in Munger Sadar Block.
- Srijan Mela was organized in all four operational blocks.
- Bal Adhikar Yatra on the issue of right to free and compulsory education was organized in all blocks and publication of Diwal Patrika.
- Regular meeting of Mahila Sangarsh Samiti and their capacity building.
- Data was collected on family affected by Ganga katao for land and housing rights.
- Pressurizing local institution for BPL card, Government schemes and land & housing rights.
- Strengthening and Capacity building of Yuva Parishad on CR.
- Survey of child labour was conducted in 15 villages of Munger sadar and 185 children have been identified who are mostly engaged in stone crushing.
- To raise awareness amongst the children on their rights and build confidence to share and express their views and opinions.
- Sensitize community on women rights and child rights through regular meetings, demonstration and advocacy program by women organizations.
- Advocate with Patthar Mazdoor Sangathan, unorganized workers, youth organizations, Jal Shramik Sangh and fisherman organization for compulsory education of children and protection of their basic rights.
- Awareness building on the Government programs meant for children and women.
- District level seminar on Child rights and compulsory elementary education, motivating them to speak out against the child rights violation.
- Engaging the teachers forums in district level and block level workshops on education, quality Mid Day Meal, school management committee issues.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Development
- Right to Survival
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Annual Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics