on the details of
Deenbandhu has been a leading organization to work on housing rights in the region. Over the years, Deenbandhu has been able to organize community in slum areas of Indore to raise issues concerning housing rights, employment and livelihood, violation of human rights, forced eviction and its impact on children. Deenbandhu was established in August 1991 by Late Rajeev George and Ms. Belu George. Initially their interventions revolved around promoting youth leadership, educating children, sanitation campaign in the slums, and mainstreaming slum children for realization of their educational rights. A small group of youths namely Sewa Sangam was formed during this period which carried out the voluntary efforts in the slums. Today, Deenbandhu strives to change the biasd mindsets of planners and policy makers against the poor slum dwelling people and look for workable solutions for ensuring adequate legal housing to millions of the poorest who face constant eviction threats.
Deenbandhu is working in 11 slum cluster in Indore city namely Scheme No. 140:, Digvijay Nagar, Nat Colony, Manik Bagh Road Basti, Dak- Tar, Vir Tantiya Nagar, Goya Basti, Scheme 103, Vyas Nagar, Vinay Nagar. In total 736 families live in the area. Majority of the families are from SC category. The prime occupation of families is labour work, construction work and household maid, etc..In Vinay Nagar the majority are occupation of the dwellers is construction worker. The main occupations of the dwellers in Digvijay Nagar are construction worker, Household maids, Rag picking and selling of chatais. The existing location has no excess to drinking water, drainage and transport facility. There is not enough facility for education. The community has a threat of eviction due to road and high rate of land. Aganwadis and Health services are also rarely available in community. Slum dwellers have to travel around 5 km to avail the health services and there no mode of transport up to two 2 km from the slum.
- Communities will be sensitized towards the need of schooling leading to voicing their demand for school in neighbourhood.
- Schools will be monitored for quality education and demand for separate classes for different grades, library, teaching learning materials and equipments etc. for improvement in quality of education will be raised for schools in Tejpur Gadbadi and Vyas Nagar.
- Community will approach the Law and order machinery (administration and police) for ensuring patrolling and security in the vicinity of way to school from Vyas Nagar, Bicholi Kankad, Indrajeet Nagar, Dak tar colony and Sch 140.
- Initiate retention process in all the slums of intervention area.
- 10% of EAC of slums of intervention will be mainstreamed into education/schooling.
Review and Impact
Deenbandhu strategize for strengthening mass base processes for the rights of urban poor and is establishing people’s movement under banner of Jhuggi Basti Sangharsh Morcha (JBSM). With consistent advocacy efforts, Deenbandhu has been able to create an identity amongst the urban poor and is recognized as an advocate of housing rights of poor.
The achievements has led to the following impacts:
- Out of total 651 children, 301 were normal, 174 moderately malnourished and 82 were severely malnourished.
- One new ICDS has been demanded and demand for 3 ICDS from last year is being followed up.
- Regular meeting and discussions were held with the volunteers/SABLA group/communities on the services of ICDS centers.
- Workshop was held for adolescent girls to sensitize them on reproductive health, the SABLA scheme & ICDS provisions.
- 53 (boys 23 and 30 girls) children (including dropped outs & never enrolled) were mainstreamed into schools.
- 2 Child Activity Centers are running regularly for dropped out, never enrolled and irregular to school children. Currently 88 children attend these centers.
- A list of 15 orphan / single parent children was prepared and handed over to ICDS for providing the pension under the ICDS scheme.
- Children’s groups are being strengthened on various child rights issues.
- Deenbandhu is moving ahead for in-depth intervention in the slums on two themes -Education and Protection.
- 6 new school will be established to ensure neighbored schooling in all slum localities.
- Enrollment of all children in school and Retention tracking to be in place for all children in school.
- Components of ECCE will be strengthened in all ICDS centers.
- A prompt and effective system of education will be in place and in all 10 slums / trained, enthusiastic and child friendly teachers available in school/problem of boredom and ineffective learning in school will be addressed; interesting and effective system of pedagogy will be in place.
- All economically active children will be linked to schooling /education.
- Advocacy will be taken up at district level based on data generated from field through survey of schools.
- Provisions for Child labourers in the state would be implemented for better placement of children in labour.
ANNUAL FINANCIAL SUMMARY
- Right to Development
- Right to Protection
- Right to Participation
- Total Grant Approved
- About CRY
- About CRY America
- CRY America Vision & Mission
- Child Rights Charter
- Contact Us
- Projects We Support
- Project Impact
- USA Projects
- Stories Of Hope
- Project Selection and Review
- Child Rights
- Children Statistics