Society for Advancement in Tribes, Health, Education And Environment [SATHEE]
Location: Godda district, Jharkhand
The SATHEE intervention covers 10 villages in Jharkhand. The area of Santhal Pargana is rich in natural resources like coal, forest products and stone. Frequent drought situation and scarcity of food, lack of adequate capital for agriculture and existence of limited fertile land (2-3%) with the community and migration are some factors that have allowed exploitation of the tribals by the money lenders. Due to the lack of proper Government schemes and the ICDS, children and women become the most vulnerable leading to malnutrition and disease.
• Bring the government schemes and ICDS to these regions.
• Increasing accountability of the government officials and politicians.
• Increase birth registration to 100%
• Increase employment opportunities
• Operationalization of the traditional local governance structures
• Initiate a diversified program to strengthen the traditional governance systems to take ownership of the natural resources
• Monitoring the government programs after curbing the corruption
• 135 drop out children involved in cattle grazing was enrolled in schools.
• 32 pregnant women and 79 children were fully immunized in the area.
• 55 working children and 48 drop outs were enrolled in the school.
• 103 children were enrolled in the local government schools.
• 50% of the families are getting proper and free ration from the PDS.
Society for Advancement in Tribes, Health, Education, and Environment (SATHEE) originated in the course of a Government of India sponsored research project 'Ecological Survey of 'Paharia' community in Santhal Parganas' during 1988-1991. The research fellows and Project Holder through action research has developed in-depth understanding of the problems faced by the Paharia tribals. Even after the research work was completed, they continued interface with the local communities and later formed an organization to work with Paharia tribals. SATHEE was registered in 1996 with a view to work for mobilizing the deprived 'Paharias' to fight for their rights. The founder member, Dr. Niraj Kumar has invaluable experience in field of implementation, sustainable agriculture, watershed management and community development through various income generation schemes and vocational training to youth and women. Currently the organization is involved in advocacy and campaigning on various issues related to the children of the tribal community.
The project operational area covers 12 most backward and neglected villages of Boarijore block of Godda district in Jharkhand. It is an isolated district of the Rajmahal hills. The main inhabitants are the Paharias, Santhal, Kol tribes and schedule castes. The vested groups are regularly capturing land owned by the tribal communities. Traditional governance system has broken down majorly and so has community support system. Frequent drought situation and scarcity of food, lack of adequate capital for agriculture and existence of limited fertile land (2-.3%) with the community, migration are few potential factors which have been creating the open space for extreme exploitation of the tribals. Due to lack of proper land records, illegal stone mining in Sahibgunj, lack of proper Govt schemes and ICDS services, children and women become the most vulnerable. Children suffer from malnutrition and various communicable diseases. Women and child trafficking is also rampant. Child abuse and women exploitation are common. The condition of health and educational institutions are the most deplorable in the area. Social Security programs meant for vulnerable families are not at all reaching to the targeted beneficiaries. In summer there is scarcity of safe drinking water and traditional water harvesting systems from the hills and fountains gradual collapse. The inadequacy of employment opportunities, poor agricultural growth due to poor land management systems and continuous drought compel local inhabitants to migrate out. SATHEE intervenes to ensure sustainable and dynamic development of vulnerable sector of the community through ensuring their entitlements.
- To initiate the process for restoration of the child rights through advocacy in larger Santhal Pargana
- To strengthen the process of peoples mobilization of the oppressed reference group through leadership building process
- To enhance the capacity of the reference group, CBOs & federation to advocate their own rights
- To strengthen the constitutionally sanctioned governance institutions (Gram Sabha) to take control over natural resources
- To build solid data base in this year as larger advocacy tool.
To highlight some of the major achievements in 11-12 are -
- Birth registration has improved with increasing parent's awareness issue.
- 381 children in age group 0-1 year were immunized and 751 children linked to ICDS centers.
- 25 ICDS centers and 49 referral hospitals were activated in the operational area.
- 7 schools are upgraded from primary to upper primary status,thus improving the access beyond class 5.
- 7 child labourers and 32 working children are enrolled in the schools
- 58 Bal Sanghs are activated in which cultural and sports competition, picnic are organized for children.
- Overall school functioning has improved in terms of regularity, attendance and infrastructure maintenance.
- Efforts were made to strengthen Gram Sabha and Bungalow level federation and institution.
- Formation of Bal Adhikar Kendra at GP Level.
- Action group on RTE implementation at block level,which will ensure School level implementation in the blocks.
- Analyze neighbourhood access of the ICDs and Schools.
- Community based monitoring at the schools, services of ICDS and the PDS will remain focus.
- Capacity building of staff members on the provision of RTE Act and on developing the school development plan.
- Using Media proactively to raise child rights issues and pressurizing the state for corrective actions.
|Particulars||Amount (US $)|
|Right to Development||10,990|
|Right to Survival||10,281|
|Right to Protection||1,773|
|Right to Participation||1,773|
America are tax-deductible. CRY America, PO. Box 850948, Braintree, MA 02185-0948. Tel. 339-235-0792 and 617-959-1273.