Mithila Gram Vikas Parishad (MGVP)
Location: 12 villages in Nirmali and Saraigarh Bhaptiyahi blocks in Supaul district, Bihar
Narayanjee Chowdhury and his 7 friends conceptualized the MGVP. They decided that they would work on the rural marginalized, disadvantaged community in Darbhanga, Madhubani and Supaul district of flood affected North Bihar. With lot of struggles finally they were successful to register the organization Mithila Gram Vikas Parishad. Initially MGVP started Study and research on the local issues. In the period of 1991 to 1995 MGVP worked with SIBAMO and did the study and research work. MGVP has been working in this sector since last 20 years and made some commendable changes in the lives of the people.
Supaul, district is situated in northern part of Bihar and having territory with Nepal, Araria, Madhepura and Saharsa. This district was carved out in 1991 and presently known as heart of the Koshi basin. Agriculture and animal husbandry based economy is the main source of income. The district comprises of heterogeneous mix of caste staring from Brahmin to Schedule Castes. 2010 flood changed the lives of villagers and most importantly the children became the worst affected as they displaced from the schools and moreover from their happy childhood. High accumulation of silt from the Himalayan range and structural intervention like dams, barrages which actually protected the normal flow of the river caused a havoc and flood has become a lethal devastation in the area factored into prolonged water logging and severe damages in the society and its assets. After 2010 flood 80% families became landless and uprooted from their traditional livelihood sources. It has serious correlation with the children's food, nutrition and more over health care services. All the ICDS centers are now operating in Pen and paper and schools are closed. Children are engaged in the domestic chores and working as child labour in the local markets as child labour in the tea shops, hotels etc and started to migrate with their father, uncles or community peer groups into different cities.Unsecured livelihood and adverse condition in childhood is a major factors for the early marriages and thus early motherhood. Apprehension (fear) of sexual exploitation and stigmatization of the Dalit and marginalized girl children, lack of education facilities and environment and correlation between the age and dowry is the push factors for the early marriages of the girl children.
- To promote/undertake research and action for development of weaker sections like women and children, scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, farmers, artisans and labourers.
- To organize seminars, meetings, workshops for the development of awareness in the people, exchanging and diffusing information's on the reasons and remedies of socio-economic and environments problems and generating social responsibilities in educated youths in the society
- To transfer/popularization of S&T for promotion of scientific temperament, generation of employment, promotion of livelihood and protection of environment.
- To work for promotion of education, health, peace & justice, human and citizens rights.
- Understanding of the project staff on right based interventions, understanding the children issues and rights, identification of children issues and its root cause and immediate cause analysis, linkages between children issues and larger issues and advocacy for child rights.
- Team building and capacity building exercise done for the project staff to ensure proper planning of the activities.
- Household survey was executed in disseminating the objective of project and the organization and building personal relation with each household. Also primary data of school and ICDS has been collected.
- Community meeting were organized which focused in enrollment and enhancing the children regularization in primary and middle school, their participation in school functioning, building pressure on teacher for timeliness and regularization, immunization, Birth registration, monitoring the ICDS center.
- With an objective to provide space for children for cultural activity, Bal Mandli meetings, women group meetings, 2 child activity has been constructed (1 in Dighia and 1 in Ithari).
- The formation of Bal Panchayat in 12 cluster involving the boys and girls (9 to 14 years) is key intervention.
- Emphasis was given on regular opening of school, school building, teacher timeliness and new teacher, benefits for children and regularization of MDM.
- Community mobilization process, facilitating the process of Koshi Maha Setu Pirit Sangarsh Samiti, Memorandum to local administration has been taken up.
- To ensure enrolment and retention of dropout, out of school children with focus on girl child
- To ensure regular immunization, Birth registration and health checkup of children
- To study the malnutrition status in the area and action
- To activate School, ICDS and Health center and generated demand for school building, new ICDS center through peoples advocacy and community mobilization process
- To aware and empower community, women group and strengthen their group on children issues and ensure their collective action for child rights
- To link reference community with government schemes
- To bring the flood induced displacement issue and child rights violation in public domain
|Particulars||Amount (US $)|
|Right to Development||4,011|
|Right to Survival||5,652|
|Right to Protection||912|
|Right to Participation||2,370|
America are tax-deductible. CRY America, PO. Box 850948, Braintree, MA 02185-0948. Tel. 339-235-0792 and 617-959-1273.