Gramya Vikas Manch (GVM)
Location: 18 villages under Pub Nalbari educational block in Nalbari district of Assam
Mr. Prithibhushan Deka, is the President and founding member of the organization. GVM since inception also focusing over the value building process with the youths of the community, it has organized capacity building process in collaboration with the Nehru Yuva Kendra of Nalbari district. They are in the process of consolidation of the activity and more focus towards building value based volunteers.
The Nalbari district is originally a part of undivided Kamrup district of Assam. Entire area is in flood plain, there are no major industries, there is no oil industry, there is no tea estate, and people of these areas are solely dependent either on agricultural process or in Govt. job. Agricultural process is no longer a viable source of livelihood for common mass and could not meet the increasing cash needs. Shrinkage in Govt Jobs as well as increase in floods have resulted in a number of socio political issues.
As per the data of Government, 64 infant deaths have been registered in the districts. Poor functioning of Anganwadi centre at village level being one of the reasons of incidence of infant and child deaths in the operational area.
It has been noted that the 30% of the children are suffering from acute malnutrition in the operational area. The situation of girl child is critical in comparison to the male child. Incidence of common disease among the children is very high in the operational area. Children from the marginalized community are out of school despite the presence of primary school at community level and are mainly engaged in the domestic work and other economic activities with their parents.
Government Primary school is not in status to provide the quality education to the children. Due to poor infrastructure, irregularity of school teacher, non availability of school play ground, children are not able to get the opportunity in participating in cultural programme at school and also at community level.
A significant children are out of school in the operational area has resulted in increase of child labour and child migration. These children are mostly engaged in the Guwahati town and also the outside the State. Some of the children in the age group of 13-18 years are engaged in substance abuse.
- To reduce the infant and child death from the selected operational area of the project
- To reduce the percentage of malnutrition among the among the children of selected 18 villages
- Advocacy to ensure proper implementation of RTE Act in all schools of the operational area (accessible, infrastructure, quality education)
- 100% children will have accessibility to schools with proper infrastructure and quality education as per RTE Act in the operational area
- To promote common platform among child (to enhance creativity, knowledge, innovation, inner freedom, reduce delinquency, increase active participation) for reducing the incidence of child labour, child migration and other substance abuse
- Organized community sensitization programme on the rights and entitlements of children
- Consultative workshop with different stakeholders on different child issues and child rights
- Interface programme among community and different development actors to communicate the issue of the area to the stakeholders
- Providing Training and sensitization among mothers on child health and nutrition, child specific issues during and post disaster situation, trainers on emergency education through games among child
- Establishment of village level child specific First Aid Kit
- Sensitization Meeting with SMC/ mothers group / teachers union
- Interface programme among community and local authority and workshop was organized.
- Training among key stakeholders on value based quality education and RTE
- Sensitization meeting with village health and sanitation committee
- Formation and promotion of village level children Assembly
- Consultative workshop with influential CBOs/ social leaders/ PRI members etc
- Training among members of alliances on different rights/ entitlements
- Organize Motivational programme and village level Social education programme / street play with children (focusing on hazardous substances and behavioral change)
- Training and sensitization among mothers on child health and nutrition.
- Capacity building of all the volunteers.
- Community mobilization towards rights of children
- Advocacy in all level
- Direct intervention with children in immediate needs
- Organize motivational programme/ street play with children.
- Organize village level social education programme, inter village sports.
|Particulars||Amount (US $)|
|Right to Development||1,913|
|Right to Survival||2,296|
|Right to Protection||2,679|
|Right to Participation||2,424|
America are tax-deductible. CRY America, PO. Box 850948, Braintree, MA 02185-0948. Tel. 339-235-0792 and 617-959-1273.